According to several Afghan officials, including the spokesman for the Nangarhar Province, two US drone strikes were launched today against ISIS forces in the Haska Mina district of Nangarhar, along the border with Pachi Agam Province. 20 ISIS fighters were killed.
The Pentagon did not confirm the death toll, but did confirm the attacks as a “kinetic strike” in the area, targeting “individuals threatening the force.” The US has launched several strikes against ISIS forces in Nangarhar this month.
The size of the ISIS force in Afghanistan is the subject of a lot of speculation. They are not believed to be huge, and are made up mostly of Taliban commanders who have defected. The group is active in Nangarhar, Pachi Agam, and to a lesser extent Helmand Province.
Previous attacks against ISIS forces had focused mostly on these commanders, with some of them killed earlier this month. There is so far no indication of any named commanders targeted or hit in today’s attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018