Speaking to a number of Congressional Democrats today, President Obama sought to sell the P5+1 nuclear deal with Iran on the idea that the US will remain hostile toward Iran irrespective of the deal, and that it simply means Iran won’t have nuclear arms during that hostility.
Obama is said to have told the Congressmen that Iran remains “odious” in his eyes, and “we’re still going to fight them at a lot of different levels.” Several of them expressed outrage, however, that Obama is still backing the nuclear deal despite opposition from Congressional leaders.
Overwhelmingly, Republicans in Congress are expected to oppose the deal, but they will also need considerable numbers of Democrats to come along to get enough votes to actually kill the pact. That is still seen as extremely unlikely, despite massive Israeli lobbying efforts.
The White House has repeatedly warned that killing the deal won’t mean going back to the pre-deal status quo of international sanctions and Iranian isolation, warning that the other countries in the P5+1 won’t simply go along with the US Congress on the matter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018