The June 30 deadline is just a day away, and everyone seems to agree that it will be missed, even if they are a bit vague at the moment on exactly how long of an extension there will be this time. That doesn’t mean the effort is slowing down, however.
Top Iranian negotiators are once again en route to Vienna for the talks, and Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is expected to arrive Tuesday as well amid talk that a breakthrough of some sort may just be days away.
Negotiations with Iran have lasted over a year at this point since the interim deal was reached, and a lot of progress has been made on the final pact, with the White House saying they remain confident the deal is “within reach.”
Exactly what that means in terms of timeline is unclear, because there are a lot of details in a final pact, and very little of what has been decided so far has actually been made public. We know the talks are continuing, but what the focus is remains very much a matter of debate/
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017