The June 30 deadline is just a day away, and everyone seems to agree that it will be missed, even if they are a bit vague at the moment on exactly how long of an extension there will be this time. That doesn’t mean the effort is slowing down, however.
Top Iranian negotiators are once again en route to Vienna for the talks, and Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov is expected to arrive Tuesday as well amid talk that a breakthrough of some sort may just be days away.
Negotiations with Iran have lasted over a year at this point since the interim deal was reached, and a lot of progress has been made on the final pact, with the White House saying they remain confident the deal is “within reach.”
Exactly what that means in terms of timeline is unclear, because there are a lot of details in a final pact, and very little of what has been decided so far has actually been made public. We know the talks are continuing, but what the focus is remains very much a matter of debate/
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018