Though the US initially backed the nuclear-free Middle East effort, they later realized Israel is the only nation in the region with such arms, and has since criticized the effort as unfair.
Though US officials have been to Israel in recent days to try to get them to sign off on some vague notion of an eventual nuclear-free Middle East, there was no progress, as Israel won’t even publicly affirm their arsenal.
After failing to get Israel to okay the deal, the US angrily blamed Egypt for the whole thing, saying they’d “cynically manipulated” the process by bringing up Israel’s arsenal at all.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kill at Least 27 Security Forces in Attacks Across Afghanistan - September 17th, 2018
- Iraq to Deploy More Troops to Turkey Border - September 17th, 2018
- North and South Korea Push to End Korean War, but U.S. Opposes - September 17th, 2018
- US Air Force Pushes for Massive Increase in Spending - September 17th, 2018
- Missiles Pound Major Syrian Coastal City of Latakia - September 17th, 2018