Though the US initially backed the nuclear-free Middle East effort, they later realized Israel is the only nation in the region with such arms, and has since criticized the effort as unfair.
Though US officials have been to Israel in recent days to try to get them to sign off on some vague notion of an eventual nuclear-free Middle East, there was no progress, as Israel won’t even publicly affirm their arsenal.
After failing to get Israel to okay the deal, the US angrily blamed Egypt for the whole thing, saying they’d “cynically manipulated” the process by bringing up Israel’s arsenal at all.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017
- Turkish Army: 29 PKK killed in Strikes on Northern Iraq - December 11th, 2017
- Putin Declares Victory on Surprise Syria Visit, Announces Partial Pullout - December 11th, 2017
- Pentagon Officials See at Least Two More Years of Somalia Combat - December 10th, 2017