Speaking at the Jerusalem Day ceremony today, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to continue to expand settlements in the occupied east of the city, saying this was a “decisive answer” to terrorism.
Netanyahu went on to talk up the 1967 conquest of the east and the “reunification” as “drama on a Biblical scale,” insisting they will never again allow the city to be divided.
During the last days before the election, Netanyahu vowed to dramatically expand settlement building in East Jerusalem, and to do so in such a way as to make Palestinian statehood including it impossible.
The future Palestinian state has designs on East Jerusalem as its own capital city, and like Israel has deep cultural and religious ties to the area that will make the claims long-standing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017
- North Korea Warns of Nuclear War If 'Reckless' US Drill Leads to Actual Fighting - August 20th, 2017
- Iraq PM Announces Invasion of Tal Afar, Sparking New Refugee Exodus - August 20th, 2017
- Trump to Announce New Afghan War Strategy Monday Night - August 20th, 2017