Secretary of State John Kerry, like most US officials, has made it repeatedly clear he supports the Saudi war on Yemen, irrespective of the massive civilian death toll it is creating.
That toll is causing no end of international embarrassment though, and with Russia constantly pushing the UN Security Council to call for an end, Kerry is trying to convince the Saudis to split the difference with a “pause” in the war to allow aid shipments in.
The Saudi-backed exile “government” on Yemen spent most of the day expressing opposition to any peace talks in which any major Houthi leaders were allowed to participate. They are also urging a new international ground war to install them back in power.
The Saudi and coalition navy has been blockading Yemen’s ports, preventing most aid shipments from reaching the coast. They have also been bombing airports in northern cities to prevent cargo planes from landing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017