Secretary of State John Kerry, like most US officials, has made it repeatedly clear he supports the Saudi war on Yemen, irrespective of the massive civilian death toll it is creating.
That toll is causing no end of international embarrassment though, and with Russia constantly pushing the UN Security Council to call for an end, Kerry is trying to convince the Saudis to split the difference with a “pause” in the war to allow aid shipments in.
The Saudi-backed exile “government” on Yemen spent most of the day expressing opposition to any peace talks in which any major Houthi leaders were allowed to participate. They are also urging a new international ground war to install them back in power.
The Saudi and coalition navy has been blockading Yemen’s ports, preventing most aid shipments from reaching the coast. They have also been bombing airports in northern cities to prevent cargo planes from landing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017