A nine ship Iranian cargo convoy has been the subject of a lot of speculation by Pentagon officials, who figured it may well be carrying weapons, and might conceivably be en route to Yemen.
Today, US officials conceded that the convoy, whose intentions and cargo are unclear, is no longer headed in the general direction of Yemen, and now might be heading toward Iran instead.
Iran has not addressed what the ships are doing, though today two Iranian Navy ships met the convoy and escorted it in its new direction. The US had previously boarded a Panamanian ship, accusing it of carrying Iranian weapons, but not finding anything.
The Pentagon had made its deployment on warships off the coast of Yemen primarily about this mystery convoy, saying it gives them “options.” The ships are also participating in the Saudi naval blockade of Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017