In new comments published by Reuters today, Yemen’s Houthi militia leader, Abdelmalik al-Houthi, insisted his faction will never surrender to Saudi invasion forces.
Houthi, whose movement was founded by his since killed elder brother, says Saudi Arabia’s goal is “the invasion of this country, it’s occupation and placing this country again under its feet and hegemony.”
The Houthis have been the de facto rulers of Yemen since the January resignation of President Hadi. The Saudis began attacking Yemen earlier this month, saying their intention is to reinstall Hadi as the nation’s ruler.
A Shi’ite force that traditionally dominates Yemen’s border with Saudi Arabia, the Houthis have long been a target for the Saudis, and doubly so now that they’ve expanded their control over much of the country’s west coast.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017