In new comments published by Reuters today, Yemen’s Houthi militia leader, Abdelmalik al-Houthi, insisted his faction will never surrender to Saudi invasion forces.
Houthi, whose movement was founded by his since killed elder brother, says Saudi Arabia’s goal is “the invasion of this country, it’s occupation and placing this country again under its feet and hegemony.”
The Houthis have been the de facto rulers of Yemen since the January resignation of President Hadi. The Saudis began attacking Yemen earlier this month, saying their intention is to reinstall Hadi as the nation’s ruler.
A Shi’ite force that traditionally dominates Yemen’s border with Saudi Arabia, the Houthis have long been a target for the Saudis, and doubly so now that they’ve expanded their control over much of the country’s west coast.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018