The remnants of former President Hadi’s forces continue to fight against Houthis in an attempt to seize the important southern Yemeni port city of Aden. The Houthis are backed by tanks, while the Hadi forces are being supported by Saudi warplanes.
The war has created a humanitarian calamity nationwide, but Aden is getting some relief today, when a shipment of medical aid, previously blocked by the Saudis, finally arrived at the Aden port.
The Red Cross had been trying to fly the aid in for a solid week over Saudi objections, but Doctors Without Borders finally managed to get a ship through the naval blockade and into Aden.
That’s likely to help Aden somewhat, but won’t put a dent in the humanitarian crises across Yemen, as major cities run low on food and Saudi planes continue to pound targets nationwide.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018
- Syrian Pro-Govt Forces Enter Afrin, Are Attacked by Turkish Military - February 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Wants Extra Time to Spend Massive Cash Influx - February 20th, 2018