An insider attack was reported today in Jalalabad, when US soldiers were escorting an embassy official to a meeting at the provincial governor’s compound.
The troops were attacked by an Afghan soldier, who killed one and wounded several others before himself being slain. It is the second NATO military death in Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
It is also the second incident of a green-on-blue attack against Americans in Afghanistan this year. Another Afghan soldier killed three American contractors in late January.
Officials are uncertain as to the motive in today’s attack, and no group has claimed credit for infiltrating the Afghan military. Often, such insider attacks are the result of Taliban infiltration.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018