An insider attack was reported today in Jalalabad, when US soldiers were escorting an embassy official to a meeting at the provincial governor’s compound.
The troops were attacked by an Afghan soldier, who killed one and wounded several others before himself being slain. It is the second NATO military death in Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
It is also the second incident of a green-on-blue attack against Americans in Afghanistan this year. Another Afghan soldier killed three American contractors in late January.
Officials are uncertain as to the motive in today’s attack, and no group has claimed credit for infiltrating the Afghan military. Often, such insider attacks are the result of Taliban infiltration.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018