An insider attack was reported today in Jalalabad, when US soldiers were escorting an embassy official to a meeting at the provincial governor’s compound.
The troops were attacked by an Afghan soldier, who killed one and wounded several others before himself being slain. It is the second NATO military death in Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
It is also the second incident of a green-on-blue attack against Americans in Afghanistan this year. Another Afghan soldier killed three American contractors in late January.
Officials are uncertain as to the motive in today’s attack, and no group has claimed credit for infiltrating the Afghan military. Often, such insider attacks are the result of Taliban infiltration.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General Seeks Permission to Declassify Sites of 'Dud' US Strikes in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- Tillerson: US to Honor Japan Defense Pact, Including Contested Island Claims - August 17th, 2017
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017