An insider attack was reported today in Jalalabad, when US soldiers were escorting an embassy official to a meeting at the provincial governor’s compound.
The troops were attacked by an Afghan soldier, who killed one and wounded several others before himself being slain. It is the second NATO military death in Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
It is also the second incident of a green-on-blue attack against Americans in Afghanistan this year. Another Afghan soldier killed three American contractors in late January.
Officials are uncertain as to the motive in today’s attack, and no group has claimed credit for infiltrating the Afghan military. Often, such insider attacks are the result of Taliban infiltration.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017