An insider attack was reported today in Jalalabad, when US soldiers were escorting an embassy official to a meeting at the provincial governor’s compound.
The troops were attacked by an Afghan soldier, who killed one and wounded several others before himself being slain. It is the second NATO military death in Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
It is also the second incident of a green-on-blue attack against Americans in Afghanistan this year. Another Afghan soldier killed three American contractors in late January.
Officials are uncertain as to the motive in today’s attack, and no group has claimed credit for infiltrating the Afghan military. Often, such insider attacks are the result of Taliban infiltration.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017