While their various allies across northern Syria have been all but wiped out in attacks by both the Syrian military and rival Islamist rebel factions, the Free Syrian Army has claimed a major gain today, capturing the Nasib border crossing on the border with Jordan.
This was the only functioning border crossing between Syria and Jordan, and had been under military control throughout the civil war. Jordan has announced this crossing is being closed.
The US has been training the FSA and other rebels inside Jordan, and sending them in to fight Syria, though this is the first significant gain they’ve had outside of an older, already closed crossing.
The Nasib Crossing lies on the Damascus-Amman highway, and was materially the last functional land route from Damascus to another country, with most other routes closed by war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019