While the Syrian military has mostly left the US coalition warplanes alone in their campaign against ISIS, today Syrian officials confirmed the shootdown of a US surveillance drone over the Latakia coast.
The US has confirmed the loss of the drone over Syria, but said they couldn’t confirm if it was shot down or not yet. This would be the first downing of an American craft by Syrian forces.
While the US coalition never made a formal deal with Syria on airstrikes, they’ve had a tacit understanding about them. The surveillance drone at question today was apparently not armed, and Syrian officials believed it was surveilling them with an eye toward hostile actions.
The US had threatened to attack Syrian forces if they fired on any warplanes in their territory, though it’s unclear if the drone will count, especially since it appears to have been targeting Syria in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018