The Obama Administration’s Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) against ISIS was already facing an uphill battle, after the White House bragged about deliberately vague wording in the resolution that would let them do virtually anything.
At this point, there’s not a single Democrat in the entire Senate pitching for the bill, and with a number of hawks in the Republican majority also annoyed that the AUMF isn’t explici5tly broader, it’s hard to see it passing.
Sen. Bob Corker (R – TN), the extremely hawkish head of the Foreign Relations Committee, is warning that if there isn’t some support from Democrats he might decide to scrap the committee vote outright, meaning the bill probably would never even make it to the floor.
In spite of still not having a war authorization, however, the Obama Administration continues to escalate the war against ISIS, and has treated the AUMF as an afterthought.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018