With Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowing to do anything to prevent a US-Iran nuclear deal, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf today warned him against leaking the details of any classified briefings.
“We’ve continuously provided detailed classified briefings to Israeli officials to keep them updated,” Harf said, adding that any release by Netanyahu “would, of course, betray that trust.”
Secretary of State John Kerry also chimed in, warning Israel against doing anything to undercut the Iran negotiations, which just resumed on Monday in Switzerland.
Netanyahu has insisted he has a “moral obligation” to warn Congress about the deal, saying it threatens Israel’s survival. The White House has insisted Netanyahu has refused to offer an alternative to negotiations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017