Over a week into the ceasefire, fighting between Ukraine’s military and eastern rebels has slowed to a near-halt, and with the fighting around Debaltseve resolved, the rebels are moving to implement other aspects of the ceasefire.
The rebels today announced that they are beginning the process of withdrawing heavy weapons from the frontlines of the conflict, a process they say will take approximately two weeks.
Reuters confirmed that the movement has begun today, reporting a convoy of howitzers and anti-aircraft weaponry being withdrawn from Debaltseve and toward the rebel capital of Donetsk.
Earlier this weekend, rebels and military also exchanged prisoners near Luhansk, another positive sign that the terms of the ceasefire are by and large being implemented. Skirmishes are still happening, but fewer and fewer.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019