Though the NSA is characteristically not publicly discussing the matter, reports citing private comments from the officials say that the agency is bracing for “major” new leaks.
The leaks, according to the reports, are not related to Edward Snowden’s releases, and interestingly weren’t leaked by any insiders at all.
Rather, they are going to be technical data about how the NSA surveils people, and were uncovered by an unnamed cyber security firm operating outside of the United States.
It will be interesting to see how the administration reacts in that case. President Obama has been extremely hostile to whistleblowers within agencies, but with the data uncovered by people who weren’t working for the NSA or the US government to begin with, their options seem limited.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018