In an example of cooperation not seen between the two sides throughout the civil war, Ukraine’s government and eastern rebels have cooperated to evacuate Debaltseve, a front-line town currently contested in their fighting.
Debaltseve is considered a strategically valuable site, along the highway between Luhansk and Donetsk. It is currently held by the military, though the rebels have been making progress on it.
Rebels said the deal to evacuate Debaltseve was crucial, as it allowed the residents of the mostly ethnic Russian town to decide whether they want to go to rebel territory or government territory.
That the two sides were willing to cooperate at all on the matter could be a hugely positive sign for a new round of negotiations, aimed at restoring the ceasefire that collapsed last month.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017