In an example of cooperation not seen between the two sides throughout the civil war, Ukraine’s government and eastern rebels have cooperated to evacuate Debaltseve, a front-line town currently contested in their fighting.
Debaltseve is considered a strategically valuable site, along the highway between Luhansk and Donetsk. It is currently held by the military, though the rebels have been making progress on it.
Rebels said the deal to evacuate Debaltseve was crucial, as it allowed the residents of the mostly ethnic Russian town to decide whether they want to go to rebel territory or government territory.
That the two sides were willing to cooperate at all on the matter could be a hugely positive sign for a new round of negotiations, aimed at restoring the ceasefire that collapsed last month.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017