In an example of cooperation not seen between the two sides throughout the civil war, Ukraine’s government and eastern rebels have cooperated to evacuate Debaltseve, a front-line town currently contested in their fighting.
Debaltseve is considered a strategically valuable site, along the highway between Luhansk and Donetsk. It is currently held by the military, though the rebels have been making progress on it.
Rebels said the deal to evacuate Debaltseve was crucial, as it allowed the residents of the mostly ethnic Russian town to decide whether they want to go to rebel territory or government territory.
That the two sides were willing to cooperate at all on the matter could be a hugely positive sign for a new round of negotiations, aimed at restoring the ceasefire that collapsed last month.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017