Media reports from the ground in Ukraine’s Donetsk Oblast say that the rebels have made further progress, capturing the town of Vuhlehirsk, next to the strategically important town of Debaltseve.
Ukraine’s military insisted they still consider Vuhlehirsk to be “contested,” but reporters who were able to enter the town saw no signs of fighting, and rebels controlling every area.
Debaltseve is the prize in the current battle, however, and that’s still under government control, though the momentum seems to be favoring the rebels at this point.
Debaltseve is along the highway between Donetsk and Luhansk, the two largest rebel cities, and the military is using it to prevent traffic between the two. Retaking the town would be huge for the rebels, who say their goal now is to retake all of the oblast.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018