Fighting around the Donetsk Oblast in eastern Ukraine continues to escalate today, as civilians try to flee the various areas which have become “front-line” combat zones since the ceasefire collapse late last month.
The nation’s civil war is back in full swing, with both military and rebels talking up conscription to add to their fighting forces, and the Obama Administration debating insinuating itself more directly in the war.
The Pentagon is already providing considerable non-lethal equipment to the Ukrainian military for this war, are are now pushing President Obama to sign off on providing them with anti-tank missiles and other weaponry.
The Pentagon is arguing that providing the military with better weapons will scare the rebels off and hasten the end of the conflict, though others warn the arms will just encourage Russia to increase its own arming of the rebels, and escalate the war even more.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Red Cross to Send 'Test Shipment' of Rice to Northern Yemen - August 16th, 2017
- Report: Saudis Increasing Yemen Airstrikes, Killing More Civilians - August 16th, 2017
- US: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain Fail to Respect Religious Freedom - August 16th, 2017
- In US-Backed Kurdish Invasion of Raqqa, Arab Allies Struggle to Find a Role - August 16th, 2017
- Syria Shifts War Focus to ISIS-Held Eastern Territory - August 16th, 2017