Fighting around the Donetsk Oblast in eastern Ukraine continues to escalate today, as civilians try to flee the various areas which have become “front-line” combat zones since the ceasefire collapse late last month.
The nation’s civil war is back in full swing, with both military and rebels talking up conscription to add to their fighting forces, and the Obama Administration debating insinuating itself more directly in the war.
The Pentagon is already providing considerable non-lethal equipment to the Ukrainian military for this war, are are now pushing President Obama to sign off on providing them with anti-tank missiles and other weaponry.
The Pentagon is arguing that providing the military with better weapons will scare the rebels off and hasten the end of the conflict, though others warn the arms will just encourage Russia to increase its own arming of the rebels, and escalate the war even more.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017