With the Minsk talks on resuming the Ukraine ceasefire ending in failure (and the US not playing any part to begin with) the Obama Administration is said to be taking another long look at arming the Ukrainian military to fight the civil war.
Officials say the latest round of consideration comes amid pressure from NATO military commander Gen. Philip Breedlove, who thinks direct arming of the Ukrainian military would put them in a better position.
The US has been egging on the Ukrainian government in the war against the rebel east, but the easterners have been holding their own with a combination of looted Ukrainian weapons and other arms smuggled in from neighboring Russia.
The Administration continues to insist they want to see a “diplomatic” solution, but have also made it clear they oppose giving the easterners any concessions, meaning the only diplomatic solution they support is unconditional surrender by the east.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017