Ukrainian officials say that the situation is increasingly “tense” along the rebel front tonight after facing over 100 separate attacks in the past 24 hours, leaving five soldiers and three civilians dead.
There was some fighting, but most of the attacks appear to have simply been artillery shelling by the rebels of military positions along the frontlines in Donetsk Oblast.
The two sides have been trading tit-for-tat attacks since the ceasefire collapsed earlier this month, and despite Ukrainian officials’ promises to retake the whole of the country, the rebels seem to be holding them off.
The main contested town right now is Debaltseve, in Donetsk Oblast, and while it remains in government hands, it is increasingly surrounded by the rebels, who hope to oust them from the entire oblast, or at the very least the area around the city of Donetsk, their de facto capital.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018