Baraki Barak District governor Mohammad Amin reported that an overnight US airstrike destroyed a home full of civilians in Afghanistan’s Logar Province, killing five civilians and wounding six others.
Provincial Governor Niaz Amiri confirmed the incident, saying the US troops had been tracking Taliban in the area, but hit a house by mistake during the search.
The Taliban had been active in the Logar Province earlier this month, so it is unsurprising that the US would be searching for them. The strike against a village, however, reflects the US continuing to spurn calls to end airstrikes against populated areas.
NATO would neither confirm nor deny the incident, but insisting they are always trying to avoid killing civilians. When they do, however, there is little more than an expression of “regret.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018