ISIS fighters are continuing their efforts to seize the last Syrian military airbase in Deir Ezzor, the last significant government territory in the ISIS-dominated eastern province.
The latest raid began on Saturday, with ISIS fighters storming the base once again. 20 ISIS fighters were killed before being repelled in the heavy military shelling.
They didn’t leave empty-handed, however, as ISIS also reportedly seized a number of anti-aircraft missiles from the base on their way out, which could make used to threaten Syrian and US warplanes in the area.
ISIS has taken most of Syria’s military bases in the eastern half of the country, and the Deir Ezzor airbase would be a huge win for them, making it much more difficult for Syrian warplanes to access the far east.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017