ISIS fighters are continuing their efforts to seize the last Syrian military airbase in Deir Ezzor, the last significant government territory in the ISIS-dominated eastern province.
The latest raid began on Saturday, with ISIS fighters storming the base once again. 20 ISIS fighters were killed before being repelled in the heavy military shelling.
They didn’t leave empty-handed, however, as ISIS also reportedly seized a number of anti-aircraft missiles from the base on their way out, which could make used to threaten Syrian and US warplanes in the area.
ISIS has taken most of Syria’s military bases in the eastern half of the country, and the Deir Ezzor airbase would be a huge win for them, making it much more difficult for Syrian warplanes to access the far east.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Philippine Police Conduct Door-to-Door Drug Tests in Manila's Poor Neighborhoods - August 23rd, 2017
- Lockheed, Raytheon Get Contracts for New Nuclear Cruise Missile - August 23rd, 2017
- 16 Years Into War, Taliban's Presence Across Afghanistan Growing - August 23rd, 2017
- Yemen's Houthis Ban Political Activity Ahead of Planned Capital Rally - August 23rd, 2017
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017