ISIS fighters are continuing their efforts to seize the last Syrian military airbase in Deir Ezzor, the last significant government territory in the ISIS-dominated eastern province.
The latest raid began on Saturday, with ISIS fighters storming the base once again. 20 ISIS fighters were killed before being repelled in the heavy military shelling.
They didn’t leave empty-handed, however, as ISIS also reportedly seized a number of anti-aircraft missiles from the base on their way out, which could make used to threaten Syrian and US warplanes in the area.
ISIS has taken most of Syria’s military bases in the eastern half of the country, and the Deir Ezzor airbase would be a huge win for them, making it much more difficult for Syrian warplanes to access the far east.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018
- Trump: US Won't 'Walk Away From Saudi Arabia' - October 17th, 2018