Secretary of State John Kerry has informed a top Palestinian negotiator that the US is going to veto the Jordanian version of a UN resolution calling for an end to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank within two years.
US officials did say they were open to supporting a resolution that contained “no unilateral measures” and which did not predetermine the outcome of negotiations over the occupation.
Whether that means the US is open to the French alternative, a watered-down bill that simply calls for a resumption of peace talks within two years, remains to be seen.
Israeli officials are pressing for the US to veto both resolutions, however, saying anything that pressures them to negotiate is a threat to regional stability. The US has traditionally vetoed any resolution Israel objects to even a little.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Bolton: US Plans Talks With Allies Before Leaving Nuclear Pact - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton Rejects Russian Call to Stay in Nuclear Treaty - October 23rd, 2018
- US Revoking Visas of Saudis Responsible for Killing Khashoggi - October 23rd, 2018
- Trump: Saudis Staged 'Worst Cover-Up Ever' in Khashoggi Killing - October 23rd, 2018
- Report: Khashoggi's Remains Disposed of in Saudi Consul General's Garden - October 23rd, 2018