Speaking today at Fort Dix, President Obama promised that the US would allow ISIS no safe haven anywhere on earth, pursuing them militarily anywhere and everywhere.
“Our coalition isn’t just going to degrade this barbaric terrorist organization. We’re going to destroy it,” Obama insisted, praising the ongoing attacks as “hammering” ISIS.
Obama once again talked up a long war, saying America’s “reach is long and we do not give up,” and that the US would eventually wipe out ISIS. He offered no timeline on how long that would take.
At the same speech, Obama played up the “end” of the combat mission in Afghanistan this month, not mentioning that he has already approved the continuation of US combat operations in Afghanistan through 2015. He did, however, concede that Afghanistan is “still a dangerous place.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Red Cross to Send 'Test Shipment' of Rice to Northern Yemen - August 16th, 2017
- Report: Saudis Increasing Yemen Airstrikes, Killing More Civilians - August 16th, 2017
- US: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain Fail to Respect Religious Freedom - August 16th, 2017
- In US-Backed Kurdish Invasion of Raqqa, Arab Allies Struggle to Find a Role - August 16th, 2017
- Syria Shifts War Focus to ISIS-Held Eastern Territory - August 16th, 2017