Influential Iraqi Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr is mobilizing his militia for a massive operation in the city of Samarra, currently held by Iraqi government forces, according to a new statement.
The statement, dated Wednesday, told fighters to be “fully prepared to answer the call of jihad within 48 hours,” and claimed the city is in “imminent danger” from ISIS.
Samarra is a difficult city for Iraq to manage, as a Sunni-dominated city with one of the most important mosques in Shi’ite Islam, and has been a site of a lot of sectarian violence since the US occupation.
It’s also right on the front lines of the ISIS war, and a major city with a Sunni majority is a natural target for them. At the same time, the Askari Mosque is so important that it ensures a steady stream of Shi’ite militias, like Sadr’s, to resist any takeover.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017