Boko Haram fighters raided the northeast Nigerian city of Damaturu on Monday, the latest in a long line of major attacks in the region. The death tolls are once again staggeringly high.
Health workers are reporting over 150 people were killed in the raid, including 38 police. At least 115 civilians were brought to the morgue, including two doctors.
The Damaturu raid focused on a major police base and the surrounding area. A second, smaller attack hit nearly Maiduguri on Monday, bombing a marketplace.
These attacks come just a week after an even bigger attack in the northern city of Kano, where multiple bombers and gunmen attacked a major mosque, killing over 200 people and wounding scores of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018