Boko Haram fighters raided the northeast Nigerian city of Damaturu on Monday, the latest in a long line of major attacks in the region. The death tolls are once again staggeringly high.
Health workers are reporting over 150 people were killed in the raid, including 38 police. At least 115 civilians were brought to the morgue, including two doctors.
The Damaturu raid focused on a major police base and the surrounding area. A second, smaller attack hit nearly Maiduguri on Monday, bombing a marketplace.
These attacks come just a week after an even bigger attack in the northern city of Kano, where multiple bombers and gunmen attacked a major mosque, killing over 200 people and wounding scores of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018