Boko Haram fighters raided the northeast Nigerian city of Damaturu on Monday, the latest in a long line of major attacks in the region. The death tolls are once again staggeringly high.
Health workers are reporting over 150 people were killed in the raid, including 38 police. At least 115 civilians were brought to the morgue, including two doctors.
The Damaturu raid focused on a major police base and the surrounding area. A second, smaller attack hit nearly Maiduguri on Monday, bombing a marketplace.
These attacks come just a week after an even bigger attack in the northern city of Kano, where multiple bombers and gunmen attacked a major mosque, killing over 200 people and wounding scores of others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017