50 Afghans were reported killed today and around 60 others wounded when a suicide bomber on a motorcycle drove into the middle of a crowd at a volleyball game and detonated.
The attack took place in the Paktika Province, at the regional volleyball finals. Provincial government officials were said to have been in attendance, though indications are that all of the slain were civilians.
There has been no claim of responsibility, and with Paktika along the border with Pakistan several militant factions from both countries are active in the area, and thus potential culprits.
The attack is one of the deadliest single suicide bombings in Afghan in months. The death toll could still rise, as many of the wounded are in bad condition and not expected to survive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017
- Tillerson: Iraqi Shi'ite Militias Must Leave Iraq - October 22nd, 2017
- Israel Says It Will Step Up Attacks Against Syria - October 22nd, 2017
- Next Catalonias? Italian Regions Vote for More Autonomy - October 22nd, 2017