50 Afghans were reported killed today and around 60 others wounded when a suicide bomber on a motorcycle drove into the middle of a crowd at a volleyball game and detonated.
The attack took place in the Paktika Province, at the regional volleyball finals. Provincial government officials were said to have been in attendance, though indications are that all of the slain were civilians.
There has been no claim of responsibility, and with Paktika along the border with Pakistan several militant factions from both countries are active in the area, and thus potential culprits.
The attack is one of the deadliest single suicide bombings in Afghan in months. The death toll could still rise, as many of the wounded are in bad condition and not expected to survive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 47 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017