50 Afghans were reported killed today and around 60 others wounded when a suicide bomber on a motorcycle drove into the middle of a crowd at a volleyball game and detonated.
The attack took place in the Paktika Province, at the regional volleyball finals. Provincial government officials were said to have been in attendance, though indications are that all of the slain were civilians.
There has been no claim of responsibility, and with Paktika along the border with Pakistan several militant factions from both countries are active in the area, and thus potential culprits.
The attack is one of the deadliest single suicide bombings in Afghan in months. The death toll could still rise, as many of the wounded are in bad condition and not expected to survive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018