50 Afghans were reported killed today and around 60 others wounded when a suicide bomber on a motorcycle drove into the middle of a crowd at a volleyball game and detonated.
The attack took place in the Paktika Province, at the regional volleyball finals. Provincial government officials were said to have been in attendance, though indications are that all of the slain were civilians.
There has been no claim of responsibility, and with Paktika along the border with Pakistan several militant factions from both countries are active in the area, and thus potential culprits.
The attack is one of the deadliest single suicide bombings in Afghan in months. The death toll could still rise, as many of the wounded are in bad condition and not expected to survive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Urge UN Action to Prevent Turkish Invasion - January 17th, 2018
- Turkey Says Will Attack Unless US Withdraws Support for Syrian Kurds - January 17th, 2018
- Tillerson Threatens Military Action Against North Korea - January 17th, 2018
- Tillerson: US Military Presence in Syria 'Open-Ended,' Will Ensure Regime Change - January 17th, 2018
- US Navy: Collision Ship Commanders Could Be Charged With Homicide - January 16th, 2018