The Obama Administration is continuing to try to downplay the reports of a secret letter sent by President Obama to Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on the topic of ISIS.
Today it was Susan Rice’s turn to downplay the situation, saying the US was “in no way engaged in any coordination – military coordination – with Iran on countering ISIS.”
Congressional hawks have been condemning Obama for the secret letter, saying it is “outrageous” that Obama would even communicate with Iranian officials, and that it threatened to harm ties with Sunni Arab nations.
Administration officials have not denied that the letter was sent, but have refused to discuss its content, and said their policy toward Iran has not changed. Since this letter is unprecedented, whatever the content their policy clearly did change.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- China Outraged at US Sanctions for Buying Russia Arms - September 21st, 2018
- Pentagon Hypes Taliban Body Counts to Try to Sell White House on Afghan War - September 20th, 2018
- South Yemen Separatists Vow to Continue Offensive Against Hodeidah Port - September 20th, 2018
- Kim, Moon End Inter-Korean Summit at Peak of Sacred North Korea Volcano - September 20th, 2018
- Kim Seeks Second Trump Summit to Speed Denuclearization - September 20th, 2018