The Obama Administration is continuing to try to downplay the reports of a secret letter sent by President Obama to Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on the topic of ISIS.
Today it was Susan Rice’s turn to downplay the situation, saying the US was “in no way engaged in any coordination – military coordination – with Iran on countering ISIS.”
Congressional hawks have been condemning Obama for the secret letter, saying it is “outrageous” that Obama would even communicate with Iranian officials, and that it threatened to harm ties with Sunni Arab nations.
Administration officials have not denied that the letter was sent, but have refused to discuss its content, and said their policy toward Iran has not changed. Since this letter is unprecedented, whatever the content their policy clearly did change.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018