The Obama Administration is continuing to try to downplay the reports of a secret letter sent by President Obama to Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on the topic of ISIS.
Today it was Susan Rice’s turn to downplay the situation, saying the US was “in no way engaged in any coordination – military coordination – with Iran on countering ISIS.”
Congressional hawks have been condemning Obama for the secret letter, saying it is “outrageous” that Obama would even communicate with Iranian officials, and that it threatened to harm ties with Sunni Arab nations.
Administration officials have not denied that the letter was sent, but have refused to discuss its content, and said their policy toward Iran has not changed. Since this letter is unprecedented, whatever the content their policy clearly did change.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrikes Killed 433 Civilians in Raqqa in August - September 20th, 2017
- 51 Countries Ratify UN Nuclear Weapons Ban - September 20th, 2017
- Russia Says 850 Nusra Fighters Killed in North Syria in 24 Hours - September 20th, 2017
- Spanish Police Step Up Catalonia Raids to Try to Block Referendum - September 20th, 2017
- US Allies Split on Trump's Threat to Destroy North Korea - September 20th, 2017