As they do every time the issue of US-Iranian relations comes up, the White House has insisted that their policy is unchanged. The statement was dubious today, however.
That’s because a report out of the Wall Street Journal today said that President Obama had last month secreted a letter to Iranian Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The White House declined to discuss what their termed “private correspondence,” but the report is that the letter primarily focused on American and Iran’s mutual war against ISIS.
Officials have denied any direct coordination between the US and Iran, who are both active in Iraq. Whatever the contents of the letter, however, the fact that a letter was sent at all proves that US policy is anything but “unchanged.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017