As they do every time the issue of US-Iranian relations comes up, the White House has insisted that their policy is unchanged. The statement was dubious today, however.
That’s because a report out of the Wall Street Journal today said that President Obama had last month secreted a letter to Iranian Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The White House declined to discuss what their termed “private correspondence,” but the report is that the letter primarily focused on American and Iran’s mutual war against ISIS.
Officials have denied any direct coordination between the US and Iran, who are both active in Iraq. Whatever the contents of the letter, however, the fact that a letter was sent at all proves that US policy is anything but “unchanged.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France Remains Committed to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 19th, 2018
- Russian FM Slams Calls to Halt Idlib Offensive - February 19th, 2018
- Turkish Officials Hope to Resolve Manbij Issues With Dialogue With US - February 19th, 2018
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018