Usually, Israeli officials arriving in DC get the royal treatment, and are whisked around the US capital to meet with every administration official and Congressman they possibly can.
Not so with Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, who was snubbed in attempts to get meetings with Secretary of State John Kerry and Vice President Joe Biden. Officials say the administration also tried to cancel Ya’alon’s meetings with Ambassador Susan Power, but the order arrived too late.
Officials familiar with the situation say that the administration was resigned to letting Ya’alon meet with his US counterpart, Chuck Hagel, but didn’t want him making the usual rounds elsewhere.
The reaction to Ya’alon’s visit is because the defense minister, a Likud Party hawk, repeatedly and angrily condemned Kerry as “Messianic” during failed peace talks, and officials are still resentful toward him because of it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018