Usually, Israeli officials arriving in DC get the royal treatment, and are whisked around the US capital to meet with every administration official and Congressman they possibly can.
Not so with Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, who was snubbed in attempts to get meetings with Secretary of State John Kerry and Vice President Joe Biden. Officials say the administration also tried to cancel Ya’alon’s meetings with Ambassador Susan Power, but the order arrived too late.
Officials familiar with the situation say that the administration was resigned to letting Ya’alon meet with his US counterpart, Chuck Hagel, but didn’t want him making the usual rounds elsewhere.
The reaction to Ya’alon’s visit is because the defense minister, a Likud Party hawk, repeatedly and angrily condemned Kerry as “Messianic” during failed peace talks, and officials are still resentful toward him because of it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018