The tiny town in the hills outside of Baalbek saw hours of fighting, with Hezbollah reporting five of its fighters slain, and dozens of the Nusra killed in the process. Locals reported large numbers of wounded on both sides.
Al-Nusra has pushed into Lebanon from Syria several times in the past few weeks, but mostly targeting the town of Arsal, further to the north. A brief exchange of fire between Nusra and the Lebanese military was reported again today in Arsal, though no casualties were reported.
Hezbollah has sent fighters into Syria to fight alongside the government against the rebels, which has fueled multiple attempts at retaliation, mostly by al-Qaeda and ISIS. So far, this has been limited to border towns, but has also fueled sectarian tensions between the Sunni and Shi’ite portions of the population.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017