The tiny town in the hills outside of Baalbek saw hours of fighting, with Hezbollah reporting five of its fighters slain, and dozens of the Nusra killed in the process. Locals reported large numbers of wounded on both sides.
Al-Nusra has pushed into Lebanon from Syria several times in the past few weeks, but mostly targeting the town of Arsal, further to the north. A brief exchange of fire between Nusra and the Lebanese military was reported again today in Arsal, though no casualties were reported.
Hezbollah has sent fighters into Syria to fight alongside the government against the rebels, which has fueled multiple attempts at retaliation, mostly by al-Qaeda and ISIS. So far, this has been limited to border towns, but has also fueled sectarian tensions between the Sunni and Shi’ite portions of the population.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Considers Sending Another 1,000 US Troops to Afghanistan - January 21st, 2018
- Foreigners Targeted as Afghan Taliban Attack Kabul Hotel - January 21st, 2018
- Turkish Warplanes Pound Kurds, Thousands of Syrian Rebels Bused to Border - January 20th, 2018
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018