A pair of bombings carried out by a single suicide attack tore through a primary school in the Syrian city of Homs today, killing 48 people including 41 schoolchildren.
The attacks took place at the end of the school day, and appear to have been timed to hit the crowd of children leaving class. In addition to the slain, 56 others were reported wounded.
So far, no specific rebel faction has claimed responsibility for the attack, though the most likely suspects would be ISIS or Jabhat al-Nusra, which have both regularly used suicide attacks.
The school in Homs is in the middle of an Alawite neighborhood. An offshoot of Shi’ite Islam, the Alawites are of the same sect as President Bashar Assad, and have often been the targets of rebel attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019