Refugee Buses Hit by Grad Rockets
Several dozen eastern Ukrainian refugees were killed today, including a large number of women and children, when their buses came under fire by artillery and Grad rockets.
The attacks came about 5 miles from the Russian border, and southeast of Luhansk. Both sides have traded blame for the incident, with the military claiming the rebels launched the attack specifically to blame them.
It is impossible at this point to conclude which side actually attacked the convoy, because both are using BM-21 Grad rockets in the war, but the military’s claim that the rebels precisely hit vehicle gas tanks to start fires and ensure the slain were burned to death is preposterous, as Grads simply aren’t that accurate.
The rebels noted that the Ukrainian military has been shelling the road where the incident occurred almost constantly over the past several days, and said they were the culprits. Since Ukraine has been attacking areas along the Russian border, that is the more probable cause.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- State Dept Approves $1.75 Billion Arms Sale to Saudis - October 1st, 2014
- Philippines Troops Won't Return to Golan - October 1st, 2014
- Intelligence Gaps in US Air War as Targeting Rules Loosened - October 1st, 2014
- Israel Plans 2,600 More Settler Homes in East Jerusalem - October 1st, 2014
- New NATO Chief Open to Russian Rapprochement - October 1st, 2014