At least 15 Ukrainian soldiers were killed today when they attempted to fight their way past rebels who had reportedly “surrounded” their position south of Luhansk.
The military reported that with the help of other troops who were not encircled, they managed to create an “escape corridor,” but 15 troops were killed and 79 others wounded in the fight.
The Ukrainian military has been pushing an offensive against eastern secessionist rebels for weeks, and continue to say they are “tightening the noose” around the rebels, though in this case it seems like the rebels were the ones who surrounded them.
Recent successes by the Ukrainian military appear to have stalled now, as the troops near the main eastern city of Donetsk, though the military continues to shell the city, causing civilian casualties.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Energy Minister Confirms Covert Ties With Saudi Govt - November 20th, 2017
- US Sanctions European Companies Over Iran 'Counterfeiting Scheme' - November 20th, 2017
- US Airstrikes Target Taliban Opium Labs - November 20th, 2017
- Trump to Declare North Korea a State Sponsor of Terrorism - November 20th, 2017
- Iraqi Kurds Ask US to Appoint Special Envoy to Mediate Dispute - November 20th, 2017