None of the slain were identified by name, though Pakistani officials labeled all of the slain “suspected militants,” and though the bodies were charred beyond any hope of recognition, some speculated there were foreigners among the dead.
It is the fourth US drone strike in Pakistan since the Pakistani military launched an invasion of North Waziristan, which followed a period of some months without any strikes.
Though the Pakistani government had been complaining about US drone strikes in the past, they have largely returned to a policy of ambivalence about the attacks since the North Waziristan invasion, which itself came at the behest of US officials.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018