ISIS forces today overran a key Syrian military base not far outside of Raqqa, the de facto capital of ISIS’s self-declared caliphate. They are said to control much, if not all of the base now.
Overall death tolls are still coming in, but at least 50 Syrian soldiers were slain in an ambush when they were trying to withdraw from the base during the offensive. ISIS released a video showing themselves pouring out wine bottles seized from the base, alcohol being banned in the caliphate. ISIS reported 13 of their fighters slain.
Syria’s government had yet to confirm losing the base, and their last statement claimed they were in the process of organizing a counter-offensive against ISIS fighters in the area.
Syria’s military has done well resisting some rebel factions, but has struggled with ISIS, and now that ISIS has so much looted weaponry from Iraq, modern US-made arms, that the ISIS problem is only getting worse.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017