ISIS forces today overran a key Syrian military base not far outside of Raqqa, the de facto capital of ISIS’s self-declared caliphate. They are said to control much, if not all of the base now.
Overall death tolls are still coming in, but at least 50 Syrian soldiers were slain in an ambush when they were trying to withdraw from the base during the offensive. ISIS released a video showing themselves pouring out wine bottles seized from the base, alcohol being banned in the caliphate. ISIS reported 13 of their fighters slain.
Syria’s government had yet to confirm losing the base, and their last statement claimed they were in the process of organizing a counter-offensive against ISIS fighters in the area.
Syria’s military has done well resisting some rebel factions, but has struggled with ISIS, and now that ISIS has so much looted weaponry from Iraq, modern US-made arms, that the ISIS problem is only getting worse.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017
- No End in Sight for US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017