ISIS forces today overran a key Syrian military base not far outside of Raqqa, the de facto capital of ISIS’s self-declared caliphate. They are said to control much, if not all of the base now.
Overall death tolls are still coming in, but at least 50 Syrian soldiers were slain in an ambush when they were trying to withdraw from the base during the offensive. ISIS released a video showing themselves pouring out wine bottles seized from the base, alcohol being banned in the caliphate. ISIS reported 13 of their fighters slain.
Syria’s government had yet to confirm losing the base, and their last statement claimed they were in the process of organizing a counter-offensive against ISIS fighters in the area.
Syria’s military has done well resisting some rebel factions, but has struggled with ISIS, and now that ISIS has so much looted weaponry from Iraq, modern US-made arms, that the ISIS problem is only getting worse.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018