Since Israel’s air salvo against the Gaza Strip escalated into a growing ground invasion, the death toll is soaring. Sunday was the deadliest day yet of the war, and Monday is on track to pass it considerably.
The death toll among Palestinians is up over 100 more today already, with the overall death toll now standing at 630, overwhelmingly civilians and including well over 100 children.
Another seven Israeli soldiers were killed today as well, bringing the overall toll on the Israeli side to 25 soldiers, and two civilians. Israeli officials continue to talk up further escalation of the conflict.
The question of when and how the war will actually end remains unclear, with no real exit strategy in place and Prime Minister Netanyahu making only vague references to a return of calm, even as he continues to make the situation less calm by adding more and more troops to the situation.
The war may also be expanding beyond the strip to some extent, with reports emerging of Israel’s military attacking an ammunition warehouse north of the Sudanese capital of Khartoum, apparently on the notion that the ammunition would eventually be funneled to Hamas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy 'Warns' Lebanon Over Hezbollah Cabinet Posts - February 19th, 2019
- Gen. Votel Contradicts Trump on Foreign Policy, Now Hypes Afghanistan 'Threat' - February 19th, 2019
- Ahead of New Summit, Trump Says 'No Rush' for North Korea Denuclearization - February 19th, 2019
- Germany's Ban on Arms Exports to Saudis Over Khashoggi Murder Have Growing Impact - February 19th, 2019
- 'Irritated' by Russia, US Admiral Sends Warship to Black Sea - February 19th, 2019