A US Predator drone fired several missiles against Zoi Saidgai, in North Waziristan Agency, killing at least 20 people and destroying at least one house.
Pakistani officials dubbed all of the killed “militants,” claiming 12 of the 20 were Uzbeks, and were members of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. The other eight were said to be local tribesmen.
The drone deaths were just part of the story, as Pakistani warplanes also pounded several cities, killing at least 35 other people in North Waziristan, again, all labeled “militants.”
Despite all of the claims of guilt, not a single one of the slain in any of the attacks has been named. This is not unusual, and indeed most victims of US or Pakistani attacks in the tribal areas are never publicly identified as anything beyond “suspect.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017