Yesterday’s hopes for a ceasefire in the ongoing Gaza conflict failed, with Israel blaming Hamas and Hamas claiming they’d never even been informed by Egypt of the plan and simply read about it in the media.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now promising even further escalation of the conflict as it enters day 8, though it is still unclear if or when a ground invasion will be launched.
All told, the week-long war has left 220 Gazans dead and 1,500 wounded. The first Israeli death of the conflict was reported today, and 15 Israelis are reported wounded. The slain Israeli was a volunteer, distributing food to troops along the border, and was hit with a mortar shell.
Hamas is said to have sought a more permanent settlement than the proposed ceasefire, while Israel’s security cabinet apparently approved the matter, though the only comments from cabinet members ahead of the meeting were all critical of the idea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 40 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017