Yesterday’s hopes for a ceasefire in the ongoing Gaza conflict failed, with Israel blaming Hamas and Hamas claiming they’d never even been informed by Egypt of the plan and simply read about it in the media.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now promising even further escalation of the conflict as it enters day 8, though it is still unclear if or when a ground invasion will be launched.
All told, the week-long war has left 220 Gazans dead and 1,500 wounded. The first Israeli death of the conflict was reported today, and 15 Israelis are reported wounded. The slain Israeli was a volunteer, distributing food to troops along the border, and was hit with a mortar shell.
Hamas is said to have sought a more permanent settlement than the proposed ceasefire, while Israel’s security cabinet apparently approved the matter, though the only comments from cabinet members ahead of the meeting were all critical of the idea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018