Yesterday’s hopes for a ceasefire in the ongoing Gaza conflict failed, with Israel blaming Hamas and Hamas claiming they’d never even been informed by Egypt of the plan and simply read about it in the media.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now promising even further escalation of the conflict as it enters day 8, though it is still unclear if or when a ground invasion will be launched.
All told, the week-long war has left 220 Gazans dead and 1,500 wounded. The first Israeli death of the conflict was reported today, and 15 Israelis are reported wounded. The slain Israeli was a volunteer, distributing food to troops along the border, and was hit with a mortar shell.
Hamas is said to have sought a more permanent settlement than the proposed ceasefire, while Israel’s security cabinet apparently approved the matter, though the only comments from cabinet members ahead of the meeting were all critical of the idea.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017