A US Predator drone destroyed a mud house in North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least six people and wounding two others within. None of the slain were identified.
Officials said they believe the victims were all members of the Hafiz Gul Bahadar militant group, though they had no names for any of them. The group has been targeted by the US in the past, though it has had a peace deal with Pakistan’s military since 2006.
It is the first US drone strikes against Pakistan in almost a month. The June 11 attacks killed 16 people at two sites in North Waziristan, and again none of the victims were ever identified.
Pakistan has complained about the continued US strikes against their territory, though as it runs concurrent with a Pakistani military invasion of North Waziristan, it seems likely the strike was coordinated, if only to prevent killing Pakistani troops.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Brief Afghan Ceasefire Ends With a Return to War - June 18th, 2018
- After Kurds' Exit, US and Turkey Patrol Near Syria's Manbij - June 18th, 2018
- US, South Korea Suspend Joint Military Exercise - June 18th, 2018
- Pompeo Prepares for Next Step in North Korea Nuclear Talks - June 18th, 2018
- UAE Demands 'Unconditional' Rebel Pullout From Yemen Port - June 18th, 2018