With the loss of Slovyansk, large numbers of east Ukrainian rebels are falling back to Donetsk, digging in at their de facto capital and preparing to barricade the streets against a military invasion.
The route from Slovyansk to Donetsk isn’t an easy one today, as three bridges on primary routes to Donetsk were blown up today. Both sides are trading blame for the bombings.
The military claimed to have seen rebels blow them up, aiming to slow the military advance, while the rebels say that pro-government “saboteurs” blew them up trying to break the rebels’ supply lines.
Either way, the military insists their strategy is not to launch an immediate invasion of Donetsk or Luhansk, but rather for the military to impose a full-scale “blockade” on those cities until the rebels surrender.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Monitors: US Airstrikes Have Killed 2,617 Civilians in Syria - September 24th, 2017
- Spanish Govt Seen Trying to Discredit Catalan Politicians - September 24th, 2017
- Russia, Syria Intensify Airstrikes Against Idlib Province - September 24th, 2017
- Iraq Seeks to Cut Kurdistan Off From World as Referendum Goes Ahead - September 24th, 2017
- Kurdish President Barzani Says Partnership With Iraq Is Over - September 24th, 2017