With the loss of Slovyansk, large numbers of east Ukrainian rebels are falling back to Donetsk, digging in at their de facto capital and preparing to barricade the streets against a military invasion.
The route from Slovyansk to Donetsk isn’t an easy one today, as three bridges on primary routes to Donetsk were blown up today. Both sides are trading blame for the bombings.
The military claimed to have seen rebels blow them up, aiming to slow the military advance, while the rebels say that pro-government “saboteurs” blew them up trying to break the rebels’ supply lines.
Either way, the military insists their strategy is not to launch an immediate invasion of Donetsk or Luhansk, but rather for the military to impose a full-scale “blockade” on those cities until the rebels surrender.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017
- Saudis, Allies Have 'List of Demands' for Qatar - June 21st, 2017