Since ditching their ceasefire at the start of the week, Ukraine’s military is back to launching massive military offensives against eastern regions, and reported 13 soldiers were killed today in the fighting.
Fighting, as usual, centered around the city of Slovyansk, and the military claimed to have seized one nearby town, though the city itself remains completely out of their control.
Though the military is nowhere near retaking the capital of the rebellion, Donetsk, the city’s outskirts did come under fire from military shelling, damaging key portions of their drinking water system and forcing the city to limit reliable water supplies across the city to five hours a day.
The Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts have been effectively out of government control for months now, with rebellions erupting after the ouster of the previous government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Beheads 11, Mostly Soldiers, in Central Libya Checkpoint Attack - August 23rd, 2017
- Nearly 3,500 Israeli Settlement Homes Built on Private Palestinian Land - August 23rd, 2017
- Saudi Airstrike Destroys Yemen Hotel, Kills at Least 60 - August 23rd, 2017
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017