ISIS has released a pair of video messages today. The first showed a number of imprisoned Iraqi security forces, captured by ISIS during their offensive against the Nineveh Province.
That’s certainly true, but what happened next has yet to be confirmed. The second ISIS video message claimed the makeshift prison full of Iraqi troops was blown up, and everyone inside killed.
ISIS has made a big deal of mass executions of Iraqi troops that it has captured, and the claim no doubt aims to further lower the morale of the crumbling Iraqi military as it faces future offensives.
But is it true? That’s not clear. Details about what is going on inside ISIS territory are never easy to obtain, and while ISIS certainly has an interest in high-profile mass executions, there’s no way to confirm if this actually happened or not.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Furious Trump Threatens Iranian President Will 'Suffer Consequences' - July 22nd, 2018
- Ceasefire Allows Thousands of Yemenis to Flee Port City of Hodeidah - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Evacuates Hundreds of White Helmets From Syria Into Jordan - July 22nd, 2018
- US Launches Campaign to Undermine Support for Iran's Leaders - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Offers to Reopen Gaza Crossing on Tuesday If Ceasefire Holds - July 22nd, 2018