ISIS has released a pair of video messages today. The first showed a number of imprisoned Iraqi security forces, captured by ISIS during their offensive against the Nineveh Province.
That’s certainly true, but what happened next has yet to be confirmed. The second ISIS video message claimed the makeshift prison full of Iraqi troops was blown up, and everyone inside killed.
ISIS has made a big deal of mass executions of Iraqi troops that it has captured, and the claim no doubt aims to further lower the morale of the crumbling Iraqi military as it faces future offensives.
But is it true? That’s not clear. Details about what is going on inside ISIS territory are never easy to obtain, and while ISIS certainly has an interest in high-profile mass executions, there’s no way to confirm if this actually happened or not.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017