ISIS has released a pair of video messages today. The first showed a number of imprisoned Iraqi security forces, captured by ISIS during their offensive against the Nineveh Province.
That’s certainly true, but what happened next has yet to be confirmed. The second ISIS video message claimed the makeshift prison full of Iraqi troops was blown up, and everyone inside killed.
ISIS has made a big deal of mass executions of Iraqi troops that it has captured, and the claim no doubt aims to further lower the morale of the crumbling Iraqi military as it faces future offensives.
But is it true? That’s not clear. Details about what is going on inside ISIS territory are never easy to obtain, and while ISIS certainly has an interest in high-profile mass executions, there’s no way to confirm if this actually happened or not.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018
- Trump Says He'll Sanction Russia as Soon as They Deserve It - April 18th, 2018
- Mattis Wanted Congressional Approval for Syria Attack, Trump Said No - April 18th, 2018
- UN Security Team Delays Inspectors Entrance to Douma for 'Safety' - April 18th, 2018
- Syria Says Chemical Weapons Experts to Visit Douma Wednesday (UPDATED) - April 17th, 2018