ISIS has released a pair of video messages today. The first showed a number of imprisoned Iraqi security forces, captured by ISIS during their offensive against the Nineveh Province.
That’s certainly true, but what happened next has yet to be confirmed. The second ISIS video message claimed the makeshift prison full of Iraqi troops was blown up, and everyone inside killed.
ISIS has made a big deal of mass executions of Iraqi troops that it has captured, and the claim no doubt aims to further lower the morale of the crumbling Iraqi military as it faces future offensives.
But is it true? That’s not clear. Details about what is going on inside ISIS territory are never easy to obtain, and while ISIS certainly has an interest in high-profile mass executions, there’s no way to confirm if this actually happened or not.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019