US Ramping Up Involvement in Civil War
It’s not exactly a secret, with rebels putting up videos showing themselves wielding US-made weapons, but the Obama Administration seems to finally be admitting to its arming of the Syrian rebellion.
National Security Advisor Susan Rice confirmed today on CNN that the US is “providing lethal and non-lethal support” to the “moderate vetted opposition” in Syria.
Rice insisted the she was “heartbroken” about the civil war, and that this was why the US had “ramped up” its involvement in the ongoing conflict. Recently, US weapons, particularly anti-tank rockets, have been showing up across the rebellion.
Other administration officials were still refusing to detail the extent of the US armament of rebels, so it’s not clear if Rice’s comment reflects increasingly overt involvement in the war, or simply a one-off interview while they continue on with relative secrecy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Officials: Trump Will Ask for Sharp Increase in Military Spending - February 26th, 2017
- Pentagon Seeks to Expand US Involvement in Somalia Fight - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Starts Annual Navy Drill Near Strait of Hormuz - February 26th, 2017
- Iran Seeks to Buy Uranium Ore From Kazakhstan, Eyes Fuel Production - February 26th, 2017
- Trump Admin. Approves, Then Blocks, Informal North Korea Talks - February 26th, 2017