In contrast to the ongoing military offensive against the southern breakaway Donetsk Oblast, in Ukraine’s northeastern border oblast of Luhansk, separatist rebels have the momentum, and have claimed three significant National Guard bases over the past two days.
During that time, fighters loyal to the People’s Republic of Luhansk have fought against border troops in and around Luhansk, and finally seized the border guard’s main headquarters today, after the troops inside ran out of ammunition and surrendered.
Despite hours of fighting, the surrender appears to have been fairly amicable, and the troops were allowed to leave with their weapons after handing over the case to the secessionists.
The two other bases, one of the outskirts of Luhansk itself and one in the nearby town of Sverdiovsk, both told similar stories, with troops eventually running short on supplies and being forced to abandon the battle.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017