In contrast to the ongoing military offensive against the southern breakaway Donetsk Oblast, in Ukraine’s northeastern border oblast of Luhansk, separatist rebels have the momentum, and have claimed three significant National Guard bases over the past two days.
During that time, fighters loyal to the People’s Republic of Luhansk have fought against border troops in and around Luhansk, and finally seized the border guard’s main headquarters today, after the troops inside ran out of ammunition and surrendered.
Despite hours of fighting, the surrender appears to have been fairly amicable, and the troops were allowed to leave with their weapons after handing over the case to the secessionists.
The two other bases, one of the outskirts of Luhansk itself and one in the nearby town of Sverdiovsk, both told similar stories, with troops eventually running short on supplies and being forced to abandon the battle.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US General: No Major Changes Expected in Afghan Strategy Review - July 19th, 2018
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018