Ukrainian acting DM Mykahailo Koval offered an unusually upbeat assessment of the ongoing military invasion of the eastern oblasts of Donetsk and Luhansk today, insisting the troops had “cleared” large portions of the region of separatists.
Koval’s report conspicuously covered the northernmost parts of Luhansk and the southwest of Donetsk, two places where the separatist movement was never particularly strong, while glossing over the large number of rebel fighters in Donetsk itself, as well as cities like Slovyansk and Kramatorsk.
He also claimed Russian forces were carrying out “special operations” against them in the east, and vowed to continue the invasion of the eastern regions “until there is peace.”
Donetsk and Luhansk have declared themselves autonomous “People’s Republics,” and fighters in the major cities continue to vow to resist the Ukrainian military. Repeated attacks on Slovyansk have failed to take the city.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018