US officials say they are investigating reports of an American having carried out a suicide bombing in the Idlib Province of Syria on behalf of al-Qaeda, but say they believe the reports are “likely accurate.”
The attacker was identified by militants as Abu Hurayra al-Amriki, and was said to be one of four suicide attackers for Jabhat al-Nusra that day in the Idlib Province attacks.
Some investigators say they believe they know the “US person’s true identity,” but they gave no further details. If confirmed he would be the first American suicide bomber to launch an attack in Syria on al-Qaeda’s behalf.
Jabhat al-Nusra has been issuing promotional videos recently about a longer video, putatively centering on the “American Muhajir” in Syria. The video has yet to be released.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017