US officials say they are investigating reports of an American having carried out a suicide bombing in the Idlib Province of Syria on behalf of al-Qaeda, but say they believe the reports are “likely accurate.”
The attacker was identified by militants as Abu Hurayra al-Amriki, and was said to be one of four suicide attackers for Jabhat al-Nusra that day in the Idlib Province attacks.
Some investigators say they believe they know the “US person’s true identity,” but they gave no further details. If confirmed he would be the first American suicide bomber to launch an attack in Syria on al-Qaeda’s behalf.
Jabhat al-Nusra has been issuing promotional videos recently about a longer video, putatively centering on the “American Muhajir” in Syria. The video has yet to be released.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018