Reporters on the ground in the protester-held city of Slovyansk say that at least three civilians were killed and more wounded today when a mortar attack strayed into a residential neighborhood, landing near an apartment block.
The apartment block was not directly hit, but the impact shattered windows, and many people were cut with flying glass. A second shell hit near a local college, with similar results.
Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been a primary target of the Ukrainian military, as the first major cities in the northwest of Donetsk Oblast. Gunbattles were reported in several villages near the area today as well.
Some reports suggested that the Ukrainian military’s shelling was retaliation for mortar strikes by a militia loyal to the secessionist People’s Republic of Donetsk, though reporters said that at this point it is unclear who fired first, and both maintain their fire was retaliatory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018