After yesterday‘s preliminary approval vote, the Senate today gave final confirmation to David Barron, author of the Barron Memo on drone strikes, as a judge in the 1st US Circuit Court of Appeals.
Today’s vote was 53-45, and pretty much identical to yesterdays, split nearly 100% along party lines, with Sens. Joe Manchin (D – WV) and Mary Landrieu (D – LA) joining the “no” votes.
The secret Barron Memo has been cited by the Obama Administration as providing them a legal justification for assassinating US citizens with drones, and without trials. The memo remains classified, but the Justice Department has promised to release a redacted version eventually, per court order.
The Justice Department has confirmed several American citizens were killed on the basis of Barron’s legal advice. Though some Republicans, like Sen. Rand Paul
(R – KY), objected to his confirmation on the basis of those killings, many also complained he was too left-leaning.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas, UN Command Agree to Withdraw All Arms From Truce Village - October 22nd, 2018
- NATO Sends 50,000 Troops to Largest Exercise Since Cold War - October 22nd, 2018
- Bolton Visits Moscow, Denies Plans to Blackmail Russia Over Nuclear Treaty - October 22nd, 2018
- CIA Has Heard Audio Recording of Khashoggi's Death - October 22nd, 2018
- Trump 'Not Satisfied' After Talking With Saudi Crown Prince - October 22nd, 2018